Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Top Sixty-Six Albums of 2009: #40 - 31

#40.
Maribel - Aesthetics [Quince]
Maribel Myspace
A cool little Shoegaze record from another random Euro band. Maribel's Aesthetics, is at first perfectly what it seems to be, that is, dreamy and slow with a female singer who moans more than actually singing. Yes, there's somewhat of a 'formula', yet these guys just do it with precision. Dig deep and you'll see an immense amount of diversity in their song craft. Not all of these songs stick to the same script.

#39.
TV Ghost - Cold Fish [In The Red]
TV Ghost Myspace
When I found out these dudes were from Lafayette, I was fucking stunned. Jaw to the floor stunned. I mean, I guess my monkey brain doesn't think of Lafayette as being a town, with people, and things, and people doing things. So, for something this good to be coming from anywhere in my area is a total shocker, and this thing is good. Weird, noisey post-punk with a strange sense of melody hidden deep beneath it's towering surf rock guitars and electronic squeals.

#38.
Julian Casablancas - Phrazes for the Young [RCA]
Julian Casablancas Myspace
I think this is a really good record, I don't think anyone who likes the Strokes would really argue with me. It captures the same kind of feel, and I dig the 80's send-up vibe the thing has got going on. It's just, man, this dudes melodies get stranger as he gets going along, and the synth in some songs allows him to go off into some serious tangents. I like it though. It's just, I don't know.

#37.
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion [Domino]
Animal Collective Myspace
And now, another review that sounds more like a dis. I have liked these dudes since the first time I listened to Sung Tongs, having been a big Beach Boys fan as a kid, I dug the melodies. Years go by and they release this over-produced stinker. It's decent, a solid release despite my disappointments, I just think it's kind of boring.

#36.
Iron Age - The Sleeping Eye [Tee Pee]
Iron Age Myspace
This Texas Hardcore crew does an amazing job of aping their metal forefathers on this impressive new LP. The obvious connotations here are to Metallica, these guys build and weave dueling guitar lines into some seriously huge song structures. Influences aside, this is an overpowering record. Stretch your neck out, and pull out your air guitar, gentlemen, you're gonna need it.

#35.
Andrew WK - 55 Cadillac [Skyscraper Music Maker]
Andrew WK Myspace
I feel like I kind of already reviewed this one over here: Year in Review: pt. The First

#34.
Brainworms - II Swear to Me [Rorscach]
Brainworms Myspace
This is an impressive set of songs care of another great post-punk act hailing from the RVA. Brainworms do the jangly and chaotic bit with precision and a knack for strong guitar melodies and hard-hitting rhythms. Vocally, it reminds me somewhat of Fugazi, but at the same time of nothing at all. Really interesting.

#33.
A Place to Bury Strangers - Exploding Head [Mute]
A Place to Bury Strangers Myspace
These guys impressed with their debut s/t output, a mix of sheeny shoegaze and ear-splitting noise, but have definitely surpassed themselves with their follow up. The first half is so moody and dark, you'd probably think it was some lost New Order side project. Fans don't bemoan, by the end, it gets going among a similar vein as the first release.

#32.
Do Make Say Think - Other Truths [Constellation]
Do Make Say Think Myspace
Other Truths is a solid new record from Canadian post-rock veterans Do Make Say Think. It's not always you're typical slow, build-y style of the genre, employing powerful rhythms and energetic guitar riffs that counteract their moments of near-ambient beauty. Maybe they haven't mastered the genre like my boys in Mogwai, but for fans of this style, this is a really good one.

#31.
The G - Hold My Gold [SHDWPLY]
The G Myspace
The G employ a no frills brand of indie rock that is, rather refreshingly, similar to mid 90's lo-fi acts like Pavement, Slint, or even early Weezer. Often times challenging, while often times breezy and irreverent, Hold My Gold is an impressive first output from this Phlly five-piece.




yeahhhhhh, so there are more of these coming, but don't bother standing by, it'll take time - on account of my severe laziness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finish this list damnit! You're five months behind.